Emma fell ill this past week. Some minor congestion over the weekend turned into a high temperature on Tuesday night. I spent Wednesday at home desperately trying to break that fever - luke warm baths, skin to skin contact, lots of cuddles, cold socks, etc. By Wednesday afternoon we were at Urgent Care under the direction of her pediatrician. And Wednesday night sent to the hospital.
 |
| Lily watched over Emma while she was sick. |
Emma was subjected to many tests - nasal passage swabs, blood work, heel prick, chest x-ray, and urine test. All tests (for RSV, flu, pnuemonia, etc.) came back negative. However, a high white blood cell count showed Emma was fighting some sort of an infection.
By far, the worst test was the collection of blood. We went through two phlebotomists who were unable to collect a sample, but that didn't mean they did not try. Both attempted rounds involved lots of tears. Some from Emma, but mostly from me. Finally a doctor tended to her and was able to extract a blood sample from her head. Something that sounds strange, but was amazingly quick and efficient.
 |
While at the hospital, momma was a bigger
baby than Emma. |
Emma was such a big girl and made her parents so proud. She waved to all the nurses, smiled at anyone who smiled at her, and maintained a happy demeanor despite all she endured. After tests, or small moments of torture, she enjoyed lots of love, cuddles, and sometimes even a snooze.
 |
| Sick smiles will warm anyone's heart. |
Ten hours after we started, Emma was subjected to one last torture. Two shots, one in each leg. The shots delivered a heavy dose of antibiotics. Something that was recommended by the pediatrician we saw at Urgent Care and her pediatrician who we were in communication with. With a coordinated approach two nurses administered the shots at the same time. After which, it was more cuddle time until we were finally released to go home.
24 hours after the shot, her temperature broke 100 degrees. And less than 36 hours, no more fever. She is back to her old self again. Very happy, aware, full of energy, chatty, and eating well. Emma has a few holes where they were poking and an ankle bracelet, otherwise you can't tell what she has been through.
 |
Emma's ankle bracelet provided some
entertainment as a tag toy. |
Now we will take the next month (with probiotics) to build up the good bacteria and bugs that those antibiotics indiscriminately killed off!
2 comments:
That breaks my heart and makes me go back in time to when Emmas Grandpa got sick while I was pregnant with Kris and had surg. for a cyst on my ovary. My Mom watched him and he got very ill and was admitted to same hosp. I was in 2 floors below me. I was released and they kept him for another day because of him running hi fever, he was in isolation and I could not hold him. Grandpa wheeled me to the window and they rolled his crib near the window so I could look at him. He turned his head towards me with his cheeks so red from fever and looked at me and gave me the biggest smile. I will never forget how hard it was to leave him there and go home without him. Big tears streamed down my cheeks. I know exactly how you must of felt Lauren. Its not the easiest job in the world being a Mother but I love that God blessed me with my children. XXXOOO
I feel your pain in that pic of you and Emma!! Broke my heart. Glad she is doing so much better! Love you sweet baby girl!
Post a Comment