Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Dental Hygiene

Emma has been brushing her teeth for well over a year.  We started doing it for her, but she quickly took the lead (miss independent).  Lately it has been a mixture of both.  She usually starts things off by sucking and chomping on her toothbrush.  I'll remind her to switch to the other side if she is ignoring one side of her mouth - she is a great listener.  Then I'll wrap it up by quickly brushing her teeth - she is usually giggling through this part.

She also enjoys flossing her teeth.  I'll take the lead and put the floss between her teeth.  Then she'll do the "same", which results in her putting the floss into her mouth then pulling it out.  Sometimes her floss turns into a toy - she will floss her stuffed animals "teeth" or she will use it to play with Lily.

She takes her dental hygiene very seriously.  Every time she sees her Mama and/or Papa brushing their teeth, she HAS to brush hers.  The same goes for floss.  And sometimes on her very own without any prompting, she announces she has to brush/floss her teeth.

Brushing before school. 
"Look mom, I flossed."
"Birdie needs to floss his beak."
Anyone have an opinion on toddler dentist visits?  Our family doctor recommended to bring her soon.  My dentist said that recommendation is a revenue generator and said to wait until 3.  When did you or are you planning on taking your kid to the dentist?

No comments: