Late Monday night (December 9th), I woke up for my usual midnight bathroom run. While settling back down I noticed my prodromal labor/contractions hadn't yet subsided. For the previous week or two, they had been going away at night while I slept. A few hours later, it was early Tuesday morning (December 10th) and I was still awake with mild contractions. I decided I was going to get up, make myself something to eat, walk around, and see what happens.
Around that same time, Seth woke up, called the midwives (we were under instruction to call at the first sign of labor because of my previous fast births), started filling the birth pool with water, and then we headed downstairs together. I had a bowl of cereal (and a few peppermint patties) and the contractions continued. They were mild, but regular and coming every few minutes. Around 4 am, we let my father and Claude know (Grandpa and Pepere) they were needed, as they would be caring for Emma (more on Emma's Support Team later). The midwives had provided Seth instructions on when to call them again (the call that would trigger their arrival): when my water broke or when contractions were every few minutes. Since my contractions were still manageable, we didn't feel the need to call them. But we were hyper-aware that things could change at any minute.
At this point in the game, this labor was longer than it had been for Emma!!! I couldn't help but be a little disappointed, but was aware that this labor seemed to be slower, easier, and comfortable. My labor with Emma was 0 to 60 mph within seconds and luckily didn't last too long.
Eventually, Seth and I made our way back upstairs to our room to relax and find our birthing space. As soon as I stopped moving, the contractions became stronger and I really had to turn inward to concentrate through them. I was laying on our bed in fetal position, and actively listening to my hypnobirthing tracks that I had fallen asleep to during the last few months. I would use them and breathe through the contractions and then fall fast asleep between the contractions, waking as the next wave came on.
My Father and Claude arrived shortly after (around 5 am). It didn't take them long to get here and in fact, they were pulled over as a result of their speeding. The cop let them go ticketless after they explained their reasoning! What a great excuse!!! They said their hellos, showered us with love and support, wished us well, and then left us to do our thing. I have to say, Seth was immediately relieved with their arrival, which, in turn, relieved stress for both of us. He was very worried Emma would wake and require his attention. Their presence allowed him to focus on the task at hand and provide all the support and attention to me.
Soon after my Father & Claude's I started struggling to get through contractions using my hypnobirthing tracks. Up to this point, Seth had been massaging my lower back and now the slightest touch made me snap out of my relaxation. Instead he provided words of encouragement and instructions on getting through the contractions. Seth knew it was time to call the midwives again. They showed up shortly after (around 630 am), took my vitals, checked on the baby's position and heart rate, and let us be. We continued to labor as we had been. I was in fetal / side-relaxation position, laying on the bed, attempting to find my highest state of relaxation and Seth was close by, staring, watching, and offering any support possible. I continued sleeping between contractions or sometimes I would jump up after a contraction and run to the bathroom attempting to go before the next contraction caught me up and about!
At one point in time I heard the midwives, my Father, and Claude laughing downstairs. I looked up at Seth and told him it wasn't fair, I wanted to be having fun down there. That was my only pity party moment (at that time) and then I got back into labor mode. The midwives would come into our birth space and check the baby's heart rate every fifteen minutes; otherwise, there was no concept of time.
The birth tub had been set up with hot water for a couple of hours, but I didn't want to jump into it too soon. Hot water is known to slow down labor if used too early. So mentally I had given myself a limit as to when I would use the tub. This limit was three contractions which I struggled to relax through. No one knew. It was something I decided while struggling through a contraction. When I struggled through a contraction, I would vocalize and instantly break my state of relaxation. When vocalizing, Seth would encouraged me to keep my vocalizations low to help move the baby down. I spent some time in a semi-relaxed state: I would master a contraction in relaxation mode, then with the next, I would struggle to get through it. Finally, I had three back-to-back contractions that I struggled with. When that happened (around 830 am), I popped up, jumped off my bed, and practically dove into the birth tub.
The hot water was not what I expected. It definitely felt good, but was not the "natural epidural" so many crunchy, hippy moms talk of. I have to say, in the moment I was a little disappointed in its effects. But it helped take the edge off, and with that I found myself relaxing through contractions for a short time again.
Shortly after getting into the birth tub, Emma woke up and came into the room to see what was going on. Oh my goodness, hello emotions. Just one look at my little lady and I burst into tears thinking this would be the last time I lay eyes on her as a single child, reminiscing about her delivery, and the love I have for her and my family. Emma and Grandpa didn't stay too long, just enough to give me kisses, wish me well, and test the water (she really wanted to go for a swim).
Then transition hit or intensified and I really started to struggle. Seth was providing verbal support, giving me water between contractions, and applying cold compresses to my forehead and neck. At one point in time he told me I was in transition and in true "transitional state" I didn't believe a word he said. How could I possibly be transitioning???? Despite my struggles to get through the contractions, I didn't feel as out-of-control as I had with Emma's labor. So I kept thinking I have so much more labor to get through! Of course I said none of this out loud. This was only circling around in my head. Too much energy was required to say things out loud at that point in time.
Then suddenly a contraction hit and I was moaning, really moaning. Deep, low, growling moaning. And with that I heard the pitter-patter of feet. The midwives burst into the room and asked if I was pushing. I thought to myself "Pushing?!?! They are so off. Do they know anything??? I have so much longer to go." And then the next contraction came and I announced I was starting to feel pushy. I guess they do know something...
Two or three "pushy" contractions passed on my hands and knees (still in the tub) and I was miserable. I tried pushing through them, but it didn't feel right. I announced "I'm done, I'm so done with this!" Seth, who was holding my upper body and was right at my head, told me it was almost over. Then another contraction hit and I couldn't do anything but push, my body did most of the work, I was simply the facilitator. I felt a pop and a burning sensation as her head started to crown. I didn't know it at the time, but my water broke with that contraction. Then another contraction, and her head was out. Her hands were tucked in at her chin, so the midwife pulled them out (she was born with her hands straight out, just like super girl). And the next contraction, the rest of her body was out. I felt every single curve of her body as she was delivered. It was the most uncomfortable feeling I've ever had - during delivery I screamed "get it out of me!!!"
Isla was born at 9:27 am in the water and took her first breath a mere inch or two from the surface of the water after being caught and brought to the surface by the midwife. With some coaching and maneuvering I turned around and held my precious little daughter for the first time earthside. She looked just like her big sister but without the big cheeks. So squishy and newborny, if you know what I mean. She cried and cried as she tested the acoustics of her parents bedroom. A minute after her arrival, Emma, Grandpa, and Pepere came to the room to meet their little sister/granddaughter. Emma's first response as a caring big sister was concern about the crying. :)
After fifteen minutes or so, Isla's cord was clamped and Papa cut it under the supervision of Isla's big sister. After Isla was separated from me, Seth took her into his arms for bonding. Seth, Emma, and Isla sat together for a little while. Emma was able to inspect her big sister. I was able to deliver the placenta, dry off, and get comfortable in my own bed. From our bed we were all able to relax as a family. That was where our first family photo of four was captured and Isla got her newborn exam.

No comments:
Post a Comment