Thursday, August 18, 2011

My Return to Work

Nothing prepared me for the emotional roller coaster my return to work presented. During this leave of absence, I counted down the weeks with great anxiety. The awareness forced me to enjoy every moment that I had with Emma. I am very thankful (to my husband especially) I had the time that I did. Twelve weeks flew by so incredibly fast it brings tears to my eyes now.



I am happy to report, the anxiety and stress of returning to work was a lot harder than actually returning to work. In fact, I have enjoyed the change of pace this week. Don’t get me wrong, I miss her dearly during my work day and still let a tear or two fall each morning while saying goodbye. However, having adult conversations and using my brain for calculations unrelated to when the laundry will be done has been amazing!



Getting into a routine, or “the new normal” as I’ve been calling it, has been surprisingly smooth. In the mornings, Seth is like a drill sergeant / personal assistant keeping Emma and I in line. Emma is transitioning well to the early mornings and is working out the kinks in her schedule.

Emma loves her sitter and her sitter’s kids (who are super attentive to Emma). At the start of my return to work, Emma rejected the bottle. And hungry Emma = cranky butt. With the help of her patient sitter, Emma has mastered the bottle and has been well fed the last few days. We couldn’t be happier with the situation we have. Well maybe if we had a shorter commute…

No comments: