We recently (last month) celebrated Emma's first birthday with a Spring Soiree. Friends and family came to visit and showered Emma with love. I think she enjoyed being the center of attention. Party-goers ate food (finger sandwiches, salads, quiche, pasta salad, and dip), enjoyed cool sangria and fruit punch, planted wild flowers, colored flower pictures, and relaxed in good company with many kiddos. Grandpa Dage, Pepere, and Grandpa and Grandma Soos were integral in the yummy party eats and drinks.
Emma enjoyed a birthday cupcake - banana muffin topped with buttercream frosting. She entertained everyone for at least ten minutes while she licked most of the frosting off and ate part of the muffin.
I really enjoyed sitting back and watching Emma take it all in and enjoy herself. I'm looking forward to many more years of birthday parties. Having had many themed-parties (winnie the pooh, summer fun, beach party, surprise party, camping party, etc.) thrown in my honor (thank you mom & dad), I look forward to giving Emma the same experience!
Here is a link to some photos from Emma's birthday celebration: Emma's First Birthday.
I recently took her for a 1-Year Well Visit Check-Up. Her last "infant" visit, next stage is "toddler" visits. Tear. She is meeting all of her developmental goals with the exception of walking. And for those of you who know Emma that is no surprise. The pace and activity of other babies always surprises me in comparison to Emma. She is little miss sit-back-and-watch-the-world-go-by. Doctor told me to enjoy the immobility because as soon as she's walking, everything changes. In the meantime, Emma measured in at 18 pounds and 1 ounce and over 30 inches long. I don't have percentiles; however I'm pretty sure she is still long and lean.
Here are some recent activities my inactive one-year-old has been enjoying:
- Expressing herself and pointing when she wants something;
- Receiving her milk from sippy cups (no more bottles, although she still using mom when she can);
- Playing with her new toys from her birthday;
- Crawling on all fours;
- Pulling herself up and standing;
- Visiting with friends and family throughout the nation (her carbon footprint is enormous right now!);
- Breaking out in a rash when using cloth diapers (I think she has developed a sensitivity to the material?);
- Stopping what she is doing and looking heartbroken when told "no" (ugh, so sad!);
- Smiling, flirting, and playing shy with strangers;
- Playing with other kids and swinging on the swings at daycare;
- Eating the occasional and rare bite of sugar (frosting, sorbet, cookie, etc.);
- Eating a wide range of solid foods;
- Feeding others;
- Giving toys to her playmates, then taking them away; and
- Having a "conversation" using various tones and sounds.

2 comments:
Hey Lou,
Emma's First Birthday photo link isn't working! Get on it, sis! =)
Linds
They work now! So cool to see everyone! Love all the shots Seth took. Did you rent the shade things? Good job, Lou and Seth. I'm really impressed you pulled that off after your week of travels. Love you do much!
Post a Comment