Monday, May 5, 2014

A Trip to the Dentist

A couple of months ago, we brought Emma to the dentist for her first teeth cleaning.  She has always enjoyed taking care of her teeth, so a trip to the dentist was a natural next step.

I piggybacked a teeth cleaning appointment for me with one for her.  She sat on my lap while I got my teeth cleaned.  She was involved in my appointment.  She talked to the hygienist and helped her by pouring water for me.  She laughed, smiled, and waited patiently for her turn.

When it came time for her appointment, Seth and I had to switch places so that I could tend to Miss Isla.  It was Emma's turn to "show Papa how her teeth get cleaned."  She had a cool pair of sunglasses to wear under the bright light and opened wide.  She was a rock star!  Here are a few pics and a video to prove it.




If you need to bring your toddler to the dentist I would highly recommend having them watch you first.  That helped put Emma at ease.  I don't picture the experience turning out as well without that time she spent helping clean my teeth.  Also having an extra hand was an added bonus.  For me, the extra hand managed Isla.  But for others, it may be helpful to manage the toddler who needs a teeth cleaning.  Emma sat patiently on my lap for 30 minutes while my teeth were cleaned.  However, this may be a lot to ask of other toddlers.

No comments: