Thursday, February 7, 2013

BFF Update

It has been a few months since I've written about Emma's BFF, Lily the Cat.  Lily is doing well, very tolerant.    She is a skiddish cat and can easily go into hiding around loud noises or people.  Surprisingly she is NOT that way with Emma.  In fact the other day, Emma, Lily, and I were cuddling on the couch.  Emma had Lily's tail in one hand and was smacking Lily's bottom with the other, all the while squealing out of excitement.  For anyone who knows Lily, knows that clearly Lily must LOVE Emma unconditionally to tolerate that behavior!

The feelings are mutual (for the most part).  Emma still lights up anytime she lays eyes on Lily, unless....  Lily is near Emma's toys.  Then Emma marches over to Lily yelling "MIME!!!" (translation: mine) and telling her "Mo!" (translation: no).  She has been very possessive about her toys lately.  Emma successfully shares her toys with Mama and Papa, but when it comes to Lily (who isn't even playing with them, just standing/sitting near them), she would prefer not too.  We encourage her to share and use a toy with a string to play WITH Lily.

Emma: I love you, just not when you stand near my toy.
Lily: This behavior is unacceptable; more treats?!?!

"Mime" is a new word that has suddenly popped up into Emma's vocabulary.  She can apply it to almost everything - a cup of milk, her food, your food, your hat, her toys, the mail, the glass of water you are drinking from, car keys, her vitamin, your vitamin, etc.  Really, the list is endless.  As much as I'd like to discourage this behavior, I can't help but have a muffled giggle when she makes her proclamations, usually snatching up the said item into her hands to protect it.

1 comment:

LivinLinds said...

I love this kid! It's nice to hear about their relationship (Lilly and hers). It gives me a dash of hope for Mable, Sam, and my future babies??? ;)