Friday, August 2, 2013

Spring Rolls

Emma has eaten everything we eat with the exception of a couple of weeks (around 6 months old) when I blended her food.  We did baby led weaning with her.  It was fun and it taught Emma (and us) how to be comfortable with real food.  We are really happy with that method and will probably do something similar with the next one.

In the early days, Emma ate almost anything we put in front of her.  It was amazing to watch her explore.  We were always impressed that she would eat vegetables, such as raw leaves of spinach!  Kids don't do that, do they???  Well that started to change sometime after her first birthday.  All of a sudden she had favorites and wouldn't eat other items (just so happen to be the healthy ones).

As a toddler she has developed a liking to all of the unimpressive toddler favorites: raisins, crackers, trail mix, granola bars, cheese, mac & cheese, any fruit, sugar, etc.  Oh and of course her beloved MILKKKK!  She generally rejects most vegetables, even though she receives them at almost every meal.  What happened to my girl who ate everything?!?!?

When I prepare a meal, I generally know what Emma will and won't eat.  Most of the time I accommodate her, but there are times when I have to cook something I'm craving, that I KNOW she won't like.  Such as the other day, when I cooked (or rather prepared) spring rolls.  I'm not talking about a crunchy, fried roll you dip in sweet duck sauce.  The spring rolls I make are made from soft rice paper and are full of raw vegetables.  Don't worry, as a consolation prize, you dip them in peanut sauce (who doesn't like peanut sauce)!  <They happen to be my favorite summer meal.>  I didn't think Emma would eat a thing on her plate.  But then out of left field, Emma surprises me and devours them.

I was so impressed with her I took 30+ photos of her eating them (and I wrote a whole blog post about it - sorry).  Here are some of the photos of Emma impressing her Mama and eating her raw vegetable spring roll.

"Mom, spring rolls are just a vessel for peanut sauce.
On that note, more peanut sauce please."

"I just love you little spring roll."

"Mom thinks I love spring rolls, but it is really
all about the peanut sauce."

No comments: